Sonpark Centre - (013) 741 4042
Bester Brown Building - (013) 752 5745
Comments : 0
Do you have burning or scratchy eyes?
- Dry eye syndrome affects 10% of the population.
- This sensation is more common in older individuals.
- Most individuals with this condition are female.
- Women who use hormone replacement therapy have a 69% greater risk of developing dry eye syndrome.
- Other causes:
- prolonged computer work
- Medication :
- antihistamines, antidepressants, anti-anxiety, cancer treatments and sleep aids
- Contact lens wear
- Dietary considerations:
- Increase omega 6 consumptions and omega 3 fatty acids and increase water intake.
Please feel free to visit us at Wim Lottering Optometrist to determine the severity of your dry eyes and we will recommend the necessary lubrication
If you think you may suffer from dry eye syndrome, you can use a simple indicator test:
- Stare at the numbers
- Blink twice and start counting immediately after the second blink
- Read a number per second
- Avoid blinking for as long as possible
- Stop when you feel discomfort
- If you stop counting before the number 10, you may have dry eye syndrome
A child with the following symptoms should be examined immediately to rule out any visual problems:
- Feel tired & have a headache after near or close work
- Watery, red, sensitive or tired eyes
- Having problems with hand writing
- Covers and closes one eye to see through the other eye clearly
- Blink a lot and rub their eyes
- Frown to see the television or sit very close to the television
- Frequently loses place while reading
- Skips words or lines while reading
- Short attention span and avoid near work
- Difficult to copy from blackboard